TopBand: Mobile for Stew Perry

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Mobile for Stew Perry
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 16:42:10
I will be operating mobile during the Stew Perry Contest. As a result of my
previous update, I have been offered 10 additional club callsigns to use
during the trip. I plan to change callsigns everytime I change grid squares
to avoid appearing as a dup to most contest software.

The first call used will be K5NA/M and I expect most of my activity to be
in Alabama or Florida. I wont tell you the other calls and you will just
have to copy them correctly when you work me.

However, it won't be very easy to work me. I have had major problems
getting a 160M mobile antenna working on my new truck. The best I can do
using junk box parts is a resonant frequency around 2.7 MHz and a 3 to 1
swr at 1830 using a tuner. The IC706 is only putting out about 25 or 30
watts under those conditions and the IC706 isn't the best 160M contest rig
around. Add those problems to engine noise, road noise, driving
distractions, and that we will be stopping at a hotel for most of the
night; I may be lucky if I make any QSOs at all. I don't have time to make
further mobile antenna improvements.

Most of my activity will be after sunset for a little while and then before
sunrise the next morning. Any other activity may depend on where we have
stopped for the night and whether I think it is a good idea to camp in the
truck while there. I'm sure I won't need all twelve callsigns I have
available to me. It should be an interesting trip.

73, Richard
K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na