[Fwd: Re: TopBand: qso ??]

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: TopBand: qso ??]
From: jbmitch@vt.edu (John Mitchell)
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 00:29:29 -0500
At 09:42 PM 12/4/97 -0800, k8rf@fuse.net wrote:

>> If you didn't copy the confirmation, technically you have NO contact
>> even if he did come back.
>>
>> Stu Perry worked every station he claimed or he just didn't log it.
>>
>> That's exactly why, despite having over 200 real 160 DXCC contacts,
>> I'll never bother with DXCC.
>>
>> 73, Tom W8JI

>FROM 1/2 of the VK9LX ( the mean half )
>
>My apologies to the reflector and Bill, but I MUST say something about
>this post, If not you may remove me from the reflector.
>
>After rereading this little comment I am really ticked off, I missed
>the:
>
>  "Too bad we can't get those ethics in the mainstream today.
>> "
>
>If anybody thinks my "ethics" were not good enough for the VK9LX
>operation, I will gladly burn all the logbooks and say screw it.

I try to avoid jumping into most of these "controversy" threads on this
reflector, but feel I must support Tom on this one.  I think his point is
that to ask for assistance from the reflector community to verify a qso is
not in keeping with the spirit of Top Band.  It's like the List operations,
so prevalent on higher bands, which, as if by gentlemen's agreement, have
been mostly non-existent on 160.

I also do not see how Tom's comments can in any way be taken as critical of
the VK9 ops.  The point seems to be if one has any doubt about whether they
worked someone, they should at least annotate their log as such.
Personally, it would not stop me from submitting the contact for credit, if
I needed the country, as long as I was reasonably sure I had worked them.
But I wouldn't solicit assistance from anyone to see if it was a "good one."
Just my preference.

I was not one of the fortunates to work Lord Howe on 160, but congratulate
all those who did, including Glenn, who most probably deserves it.  But
Tom's point is valid; we have to have our own internal ethics, or Top Band
isn't Tops anymore.

73,
John
K4IQ