TopBand: 'Down Under' Diary

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 'Down Under' Diary
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 07:32:00 +0800
G'day from WA!

So far, conditions here have been poorer for November than in the last
couple of years, with European openings around sunrise and North American
openings after sunset being noticeably down in both quantity and quality.

When there is a really good European opening in November/December/January in
VK6, it can start up to 30 mins before sunrise, running to 15 minutes after,
providing the chance to work 15 to 30-plus stations - depending on QRM,
signal fluctuations and operator behaviour.  We usually get at least a
couple of these 'gang busters' in November, but not this year, so far.

The 'average' sunrise EU opening here - 5/10 minutes before sunrise until a
similar period after - usually allows around half a dozen QSOs, if the
signals are there.  When I say average, I mean in quality of QSOs
achieved/achievable - the band may only open once or twice a week in this
fashion!

The month started well, with 3/11/ producing a fb LP sunrise opening and
VE1ZZ and K1MEM (Sudbury, MA) in the log.  Jim K1MEM is my longest distance
LP QSO to date.  The next few days after that produced reasonable openings
into Northern Europe and Central Europe, plus a scratchy QSO with Theo 5R8EY
on 7/11/97 to definitely get me across the DXCC line.

Finally the band opened well into North America on 9/11/97, with 589 signals
from Jeff K1ZM at his sunset, followed by QSOs with NJ, NC, KH8/N5OLS, OH,
TX, IL, AR and a welcome first contact with OK, thanks to Bob K7LFY.  The
last QSO was with Jon N5JA at 1249Z.

EU openings at sunrise followed on 9/11 and 14/11/, with the former
providing Mike EA6SX as a new country (#101) and the latter producing OZ7YY,
DF3CB, SM0AJU, ON4AMM, G3MXJ, ON4ANT, IK2QEI, DL3OH and G3KMA, plus AB5XP at
his sunrise for LA and a new state.   17/11/ produced VE1ZZ (a fb 579 10
mins before sunrise!), SM3BCS, LY2HN, LA2GV (peaking 599) and my friend
Josep EA6ACC for our first 160m QSO after a long time of trying.

Since then, the band has virtually given up the ghost down here, despite the
FB European to Western USA openings.  Good old Theo DJ1RL provided the only
bright spot with a RST 579 both ways QSO with FH on 20/11/97 for #102.

BTW, if Tony A45ZN is on this reflector, I have heard you several times
during the last month at my sunrise, up to RST 579, but can't break through
the EU pile calling you.

73 to all,

Steve, VK6VZ