TopBand: FH/DJ1RL

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: FH/DJ1RL
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 18:30:35 -0500 (EST)
        Theo showed up tonight on 1828.8 around 2200 and was first
working Europe on his own frequency.  He was about 559 on peaks here
but very long QSB cycles (1 or 2 minutes) made it difficult to copy
him 100%.  One of the German guys told me that he was not too strong
in Europe and is probably running only 100 watts.  Around 2230 he
started listening up 4 kHz.

        I finally caught him on a QSB peak at 2238 and he came back 559
with "Hello Bill" etc but then went down to about 339 by the time he
turned it over to me.  He seemed to be copying several USA stations fairly
well and I heard WW2Y, W3BGN, and a few others get through before I
left and started putting him on packet, etc.  I'm still hearing him 449
on the speaker as I write this at 2330.  He's doing a great job and
even stations in the Midwest USA are calling like crazy.

        Thanks to Theo for the nice wedding present!  (Getting married on
Thanksgiving Day.)

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV