TopBand: DX Window Query

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: DX Window Query
From: georgec@seanet.com (George Claussen Jr)
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:49:33 +0000
Hi Folk..As a newbie to 160 Meters, I know nothing about the
DX window and it's specific operating practice. For example,
is it ever acceptable for a U.S.A. station to transmit within
the window, or do we hope any DX stations will be working split?
If we can transmit within the window, how about during contests?
Is it a situation where we pop into the window only to answer
a DX CQ? Again during contests, if we operate just outside the
window can we reasonably expect DX stations to be tuning outside?
On a similar subject, what is the "IARU Bandplan" and how does
it relate to the DX window? I realize these are simpleton questions,
but consider the source! gud dx es 73 de George K7WUW Grayland, WA