TopBand: Receiving Loop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Receiving Loop
From: michon@eatel.net (Mike Michon)
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 22:53:52 -0600
Dear Antenna Experimenters,

My inverted L is working, the amp is working, and the noise is horrible.

I got cranked up Saturday after having a terrifiically hard time copying a
California station Friday night.  Was going to install a K9AY?? antenna
from a recent QST article, but it looked like it was only directional and
wouldn't help noise, only qrm.

I was at a loss, as my toroids for beverage not in.  Read ON4UN book some
more and at the end of chapter on beverages the book states that a low
dipole or low full wave loop is something that works, second only to a
beverage.

So, got the torch out and some wire and put up 510 feet of wire about 12
feet off the ground in  sort of  a squished square.  Noise down about 3 s
units.

I worked my first european tonight.  Used the loop to receive, and compared
to the L.  The L was far noisier, and the crashes took out about 50 percent
of his transmission. Very good copy on the loop.

My question is--- drum roll--and put your thinking caps on-- Is this
antenna directional?  I can't tell anything so far, seems to work equally
well/poor in all directions.  It is fed from the north east corner and is
about 105 feet on the north south legs and 150 feet on the east west legs.

I ran it through a tuner and into the rx jack of the corsair with the front
end saver box hooked up.  The feed is open wire, about 15 feet of it.

I am starting to have some fun now.

Mike Michon
AB5XP
44033 Hwy. 42