TopBand: dipole/vert

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: dipole/vert
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:28:36 EST
On Thu, 30 Oct 1997 12:38:50 -0000 Peter Chadwick
<Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com> writes:
>Adding to K1ZM's comments, on 40 m, my sloping dipoles often receive
>VK
>better than my horizontal full wave dipole by about 1 S point, while
>VK
>receives  1 S point better when the dipole is used on tx.
>
>What price reciprocity?  (in the ionosphere, that is)
>
>73
>
>Peter G3RZP

Jeff, Peter, etc

Why not consider transmitting on both antennas at the same time?  I did
this back in 1987-89 and it was extremely effective in 160M contests.
The amps were each a pair of 3-500Z's and the driving power was a total
of 120W from a TS-940 so the total power was about 700W from each amp.

The antennas were an inverted V at 130' and a shunt fed tower. There was
no attempt made to equalize feedlines. All receiving was on Beverages.
Many comparison tests were run, including with W0ZV, and quite often the
pair outperformed either individual antenna.

I never got much of a chance to play with that setup outside of 160M
contests since my interests covered all bands and switching became a real
pain. I dont believe it helped any on the real long haul DX but perhaps
others will give it a try.

73   Carl   KM1H