TopBand: G'day from WA report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: G'day from WA report
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 05:59:28 +0800
Finally, the band is showing the first decent signs of life in a European
direction since before the equinox.
20/10/95 produced QSOs with LA9IAA, DJ7RD, LA3XI, OH3SR and SM6CTQ between
2123 - 2138.  Also worked was Ed ZS6UT with a FB 579 signal.  I think I
heard 5X1Z on 1831.8 briefly working EU, but he seemed to have trouble
copying.  Also heard 10 minutes before sunrise here was Jack, VE1ZZ - I
promptly went looking for for FP/K8CC, but no luck.

This morning 20/10/97, things seemed much quieter, dead even, until 2125
(virtually on my S/R), when Tony A45ZN was heard calling CQ JA, QSX 11, on
1829.50 at RST 569.  I called on his TX frequency like crazy, but without
success...I've been trying to work him for the last two seasons.  Ten
minutes later, Tony was back calling CQ DX, but by then was fast
disappearing into the noise...  Tomorrow, maybe?

All this was the good old dipole at 50'.

73,

Steve, VK6VZ