TopBand: W3LPL Beverages etc.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: W3LPL Beverages etc.
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 15:51:30 EDT
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 23:35:20 -0500 Larry Higgins <n9dx@michiana.org>
writes:
>I'd be very interested in Frank's assessment of how the 4-square and
>the Beverages compare.  I'm sure he wouldn't keep planting all those
fence
>posts if there was no benefit.  How about letting us know, Frank?

When I had assorted Beverages here,  they were a definite asset compared
to receiving the single transmit vertical.  When I added the second
shunt-fed tower, the Beverages were still better than the 2-el phased
array, but not as much so.  I've always wondered how a Beverage would
compare to a 4-square on receiving.
What say, Frank?

Also Frank, I wonder if you read my posting some time ago regarding my
Beverage experiences, i.e., that a galvanized steel wire Beverage
outperformed a copper Beverage on front-to-back (therefore was quieter)
because of the higher wire loss.  My Beverages were very similar to
yours, 7' high, 550' to 1100' long, with 60' feet or so of both ends
sloping to ground level.  By walking the wire with a FS meter, I found
the best termination for mine was about 300 ohms over this Mojave Desert
soil.  Unfortunately, population growth here gradually limited my antenna
space to my 330'x 330' lot.

73, de Earl, K6SE