TopBand: Re: [TowerTalk] "Snake" antenna ?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: [TowerTalk] "Snake" antenna ?
From: nx1g@top.monad.net (Craig Clark)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 08:24:40 -0400
The exact citation is W1FB's Antenna Notebook c 1987 by ARRL. The antenna is
on page 108-109. Price is $9.95 and we carry them here at RBS

Craig W1JCC

_________________________________
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date:    10/13/97 4:33 PM
>

>Aloha,
>
>One of the OT's out here, Sam,  KH6AFS, at Hilo Town puts
>out a Snake antenna at many of the field events here.  Last
>was on 9/27 for a QRP outing.  Anyway,  the purpose for him
>is to listen to mainland BC  stations between 500 and
>1700 kHz.  He claims it also works on 160 and 80. It is
>not usual to hear BC from the mainland in Hawaii!
>
>It is a piece of 52 ohm coax,  about 200 feet long.
>At the rcvr,  the inner conductor goes to the antenna
>connector of the rig,  the shield is left floating.
>At the far end,  a 52 ohm resistor ties the inner
>conductor and shield together.  The coax lays out
>across the ground,  in this case running about
>North and South,  as KH6AFS says it is most
>sensitive on the broad side of the coax.
>
>It does work.  I assume this has to be a different
>idea than a Beverage,  as the Bev is most sensitive
>along the direction it is strung out.
>
>He also claims one can transmit with the Snake,  but then
>you leave the 52 ohm terminating resistor off.
>
>Is this just a fluke,  or really something to look into
>more carefully??
>
>73,  Jim, KH7M
>

>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search
>

>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

                   Web Page coming along slowly
                        www.radiobooks.com

                        Craig Clark, W1JCC
                    ex NX1G, N1ACH, WA1QWW, WN1IGG

        send me e-mail and I'll put you on our mailing list

                        Radio Bookstore
        Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
                        (603) 899 6957
                        (603) 899 6826 fax
                        PO Box 209
                        Rindge, NH 03461