TopBand: West coast LOUD!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: West coast LOUD!
From: Nick_Hall-Patch@bc.sympatico.ca (Nick Hall-Patch)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 07:15:39 -0700 (PDT)
Glad to see Neil grabbed this opening...I was able to hear the 1314 kHz
Norwegian AM broadcaster on the Canadian west coast with reasonable audio at
times, and yes, it peaked here just about 0432 with other peaks at 0416 and
0335
per a signal strength logging program I'm using with a Dymek DR333.  Fair
number of carriers heard from other European broadcasters also.  Of course,
the Norwegian uses 1200 kilowatts, so the real surprise is that it isn't
heard every night...far from it.

Nick, VE7DXR

>Great opening to the West Coast, I woke at 0410z, looks like things were
>already hot, I got right into a run after one CQ.  N7UA peaked over S9 here
>around 0440z, lots of good signals from OR,WA,NV but nothing else at all.
>W7GG still there at sunrise here 0615z but then nil heard apart from very
>weak signals around 0620z from ZL2JR.  Looks like the new folded monopole
>must be working OK....  Best time 0420/0430z.
>Neil G4DBN/K1NS
>
> -
> ---
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html