TopBand: ZK1 excellent into Hoosier Black Hole this am

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ZK1 excellent into Hoosier Black Hole this am
From: CRICHTON_MELVIN_J@LILLY.COM (Melvin J Crichton)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:07:28 -0500
Did not see my call in the ZK1 log on 160, figured I needed to hit em again...
just in case.

Got out of a warm bed on a chilly morning at 430 to let the dog out and
listened all over 160 and 80 meters for ZK1XXP signal. Nothing. Just a single
CX on 40 CW. Crawled back into the the sack. Dog immediately started snoring.

Different story at 6 am (1100Z) (dog was primed again)

Worked em real quick on 40 (hadn't heard them there before) and then switched
over to the 160 dipole... noise was S8 but there was a signal barely in there
on 1822.

Fortunately, I had the presence of mind yesterday to swap the southwest
pointing EWE  off its dead ZJ box to the north beverage's toroid. Signal was
down without the preamp but well above the S1 noise...  could not hear anybody
calling the ZK1 except for 'AH, and he wasn't getting through. Heard the ZK
work a VE7 but could not hear the VE7. Band was strange... just ZK, 'AH, and
nobody else.! And the ZK was even calling QRZ and CQ.... figured I would try
to work em even if I might already be in the log.

Anyway, I picked a spot about 2.5 up. Third call was the charm, in the log at
1125. Made it to work on time for once.

This band is FUN!

Mel KJ9C

 -