TopBand: Preamplifiers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Preamplifiers
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 20:16:58 EDT
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 12:27:03 -0400 (EDT) Jeffrey Maass
<jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us> writes:

>Is there a good shack-resident preamplifier choice on the market?
>
>Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio
>K8ND

Define 'Good" Jeff!

I just picked up a Palomar 1.8-54MHz RF switched unit that uses a 40673
MoSFet. Just starting to play with it but I am very impressed with the
tuning. It is so sharp it needs repeaking in 10-15 KHz on 160M. It also
has a variable gain pot  which is nice since the full bore 20+ dB is way
too much for a Beverage.
There is no part or model # but it is in a Bud cast aluminum box.
Possibly similar to their curent version ???

The price was right.....so 15 minutes to fix a broken PC trace plus a bad
solder joint at the relay was worth it. Have not put it thru pilep or
contest extremes yet.

73   Carl  KM1H
 -
 ---