TopBand: VK9WM

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: VK9WM
From: kl7y@Alaska.NET (Dan Robbins)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:49:45 -0800 (AKDT)
I worked VK9WM on 1809 kHz this AM at 1022Z.  There was a pile of stations
calling 5 up, so I tried calling about 4.5 kHz up - it didn't work.  As soon
as I moved to exactly 5 up they came right back.  The noise level here was
S0 between numerous S7 static crashes.  The VK9 was an honest 579, although
after I worked them they dropped suddenly 3 or 4 S units.  Don't know if
this was the old auroral gate swinging shut or if they were having antenna
problems, but the guys in the pile didn't seem to lose signal strength.

                                                Dan KL7Y

 -
 ---