TopBand: One use for the magnetic radiator

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: One use for the magnetic radiator
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:09:31 -0700 (PDT)
I put one of these up for 80 meters and in general I think the antenna
is working as well as my "killer" loaded tower on that band.  It
does seem to reject high angles more than the vertical does.  No part
of the antenna is more than 30 feet off the ground, and it uses the
exact dimensions from the 2nd ARRL Antenna Compendium.

I haven't matched it very well (yet) - had a 4:1 balun sitting in
the junk box, so I used that to a random length of 50 Ohm coax, then
75 Ohm hardline.

It has been suggested that one loop will work just as well as two, and
certainly easier to put up.

It would seem to me that this would be a good dx-pedition antenna for
80 and possibly 160 meters.  Nothing but wire, and if a couple of
50 or 60 foot towers are available, you could string them up between
them.

Perhaps a single loop would be easier to erect than a vertical under
adverse WX conditions (like those on some VK9 island).

Tree N6TR
 -
 ---