TopBand: Rotor Boxes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Rotor Boxes
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 15:57:46 +0100
Jeff,

Adding to Tom's comment

>What you may need to do is add small by-pass caps at each rotor
>terminal directly to the rotor chassis, and maybe even bypass the
>line cord to the chassis (if they didn't do that).

>Be sure to use the proper style of capacitor if you bypass the line.

>.01's should do the trick, especially in combination with the beads.
>Just the capacitors alone worked with my rotors. The Create is pretty
>RF sensitive compared to a Tailtwister and such.

I made the mistake of using 0.1microfarad 50v dc ceramic disc caps for
bypassing the T2X. Damn things caught fire  - literally - with 28 volts
of ac - only 40 volts peak, and they're about 39Kohm reactance at 50Hz.
Then when the volts were off them, they measured open circuit on the
multimeter! Not easy to find..............

Better than ferrite beads I found was a small (1inch diameter) toroid
from an old pot core with all the wires to the rotor wound on it for abt
6 turns, but you need the bypass caps as well.

73

Peter G3RZP