TopBand: Topband Condx 1 Sept 1997

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Topband Condx 1 Sept 1997
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 07:21:52 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Rag

Tks for the qso around 0336z on 1 Sept.  You were among only  a handful of Eu
I worked that night under poor band condx (A=4 K=3).

I actually have two QTH's and you heard me from what will become my
retirement home way out on the end of Cape Cod in Mass.  I am writing this
from my "normal QTH" in SE New York state where I have access to email and
the reflector.

am developing the Cape Cod qth and spent 23 June - 1 Sept there doing
antenna work.
First - about the QTH - Cape Cod is a peninsula jutting into the Atlantic
Ocean which places me about 35 miles directly into salt water.

Then, I am on a small island connected to the main peninsula with a salt
water shot in all directions except for due WEST which fires back across the
peninsula to the mainland part of MASSACHUSETTS.

My antennas are about 400 feet from salt water.
Second - I am experimenting with a new DIAMOND configuration four-square
array which was suggested to me by Rob, K2WI and Peter, WW2Y.

It uses 5/8 wave spacing across one diagonal and approx 3/8 wave spacing
across the other diagonal.  Why?  Because I had the 5/8 spaced pair of verts
up last season and my land will only accomodate 3/8 wave spacing for the
other diagonal.  Plus, I had no desire to uproot one or both existing
verticals and their accompanying radial systems!  Life is far too short for
that kind of nonsense!  Thus,  the odd footprint on the ground.

I am pretty pleased with the performance, especially on RX.  I can hear
better MOST of the time on the Diamond array when compared to a 500 foot and
a 1000 foot beverage on Europe.

When we worked,  your sig was solid - but not terribly strong.  I forget the
exact RST - but you were the first Eu who answered me (whom I could hear)
after 2 hours of steady CQ's - so ur system obviously is working also!

Later on, IV3PRK was louder - by about 2 s points - but the usual HB9's I
worked after IV3PRK were WEAKER than your signal.

Glad you were also able to copy K1VW in there - John has a fine signal and is
probably a reasonable comparison as he is not far away in Conn.  If I was
significantly stronger, then it is surely a function of the better QTH near
salt water and, probably, the gain  in the antenna.   AO modeling suggests
over 8DBi down the NE and SW lobes of this antenna which is alot of gain on
Topband.   If it is anything like that in the real world, then I would be
delighted!

Hope this helps.

I am working with the ARRL just now to include construction details of the
Diamond 4 Square array in my upcoming book on the History of 160M - entitled
"Dx'ing on the Edge - The Thrill of 160M" which should be available on or
about 1 Nov 1997.

Hopefully others can duplicate the system with similar results.

Tks again for your report and our QSO.

Good luck to you this season.

73 Jeff K1ZM@aol.com