TopBand: ANC-4 questions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ANC-4 questions
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 15:02:53 -0700
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 14:38:02 -0500
>From: Keith Morehouse <blckhole@ripco.com>
>
>The recent ANC-4 thread prompts me to ask a question I've been pondering
>for quite a while.
>
>What's the collective wisdom on the potential of one of these phase type
>noise canceller in getting rid of broadband hash generated by local
>broadcast stations ?  I don't necessarily mean AM broadcast - I'm
>including SW broadcast stations, also.
>
>I have a situation where there is a high power SWBC station,
>transmitting on multiple frequencies, close to a site.  There is
>broadband noise covering most of the 1-30 MHz spectrum, worse at some
>frequencies, that I believe may be BC transmitter phase noise related.
>
>Anybody want to take an educated guess at how effective phase
>cancellation, using a sense antenna, would be in this situation ?

Keith,

I'll stick my neck out here and guess that the nuller stands a chance of
helping you out.  I think that since your noise source is local and the
propagation isn't via sky-wave, If the SWBC station doesn't wipe out the
nuller front end, it may be able to do you some good.  It would be useless
against a sky-wave signal though.

73  Eric  N7CL

 -
 ---