TopBand: FCC NPRM to Peempt Local Zoning for B/C Stations

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: FCC NPRM to Peempt Local Zoning for B/C Stations
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 09:27:46 EDT
Thought this might be of interest to a few 160 ops.
73....Carl  KM1H

From: "Robert J. Carpenter" <rcarpen@lan2wan.com>

The FCC issued a Notice of Proposed Rule Making on Aug 18th in which
they proposed to peempt local zoning, land use, radio frequency
exposure regulations in the case of BROADCAST stations.  The
rationale is that unless this is done, it will take "forever" to get the
local approvals necessary for HDTV stations - which may
require relocation of FM stations, new towers, etc. The FCC also asks
whether the
rules should apply to AM and FM stations in cases not related to HDTV.

There is a link to the document on the FCC's home page:

        http://www.fcc.gov

It's a l*o*n*g stretch, but I can't see that it would do any harm to
file comments (by October 15th) asserting that they should extend this
proposed rule to include amateur radio.   We can dream, can't we.

        73 de Bob  w3otc
------
Submissions:                    vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu