TopBand: radial question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: radial question
From: gregsmi@dbn-pop.iafrica.com (gregsmi@dbn-pop.iafrica.com)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 09:24:44 +0000
Can one of you guys who has access to the NEC wires program help me
with a radial question?

Does a "radial" need to be in the radial direction in order to
collect current, or does it still collect on any portion which may be
in the tangential direction?

The reason that I ask is that my tower is very close to the house,
and, although I have some radials on the roof, they are only 10-15m
long.  On the other side of the house is the driveway and then the
boundary.  I could have one or two radials running along the drive on
either side, but don't want to grind any more slots in it than I have
to.

Suggest the following simulation.  Set up a vertical with say 4 X 15m
radials and calculate the current in them.  Then add a 20m Tee
section on to the end of each and recalculate.

Would appreciate someone running this for me.

Thanks.
Greg, ZS5K.