TopBand: Tower Heights

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Tower Heights
From: gregsmi@dbn-pop.iafrica.com (gregsmi@dbn-pop.iafrica.com)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 16:18:01 +0000
Let me add my tuppence worth to this discussion.

Maybe I've missed something, but I don't understand why everyone is
so keen to achieve an exact resonance.  What is so difficult about
tuning out the reactive part?

As far as I'm concerned, the higher the better until about 5/8 wave,
because the current point moves up, lowering the radiation angle, and
up to 1/2 wave, the impedance goes up as well, lowering the ground
losses.  (This has no connection to the folded unipole debate)

I've had great success on 80 with a 35m inverted L whose impedance is
1k + about 1500j.  I just tune out the j with about a 20pF high
voltage cap, and L match the rest. - easy.

73 de Greg, ZS5K