TopBand: Elevation Angle of Maximum Radiation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Elevation Angle of Maximum Radiation
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:48:36 +0000
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date:          Wed, 30 Jul 97 05:07:15 +0000

> Guys,
> I'll agree with Earl and John. I would say that 90% of the time that the
> extemely low radiation angle is not usefull on topband. Out of 4-5 trys
> during contest with 1/2 vertical only once was it moderately
> successfull. The vertical with median takeoff angle of 30 degrees will
> outperform the low angle for most band conditions.

I has the same results using BC arrays. The 250 ft -300 ft verticals
stunk, my 1/4 vertical would beat them. I find the same effect on 80
meters.

A low incident angle grazes the ionosphere for a long distance
increasing loss. More hops with less loss from a sharper angle
actually decrease propagation loss.

(Of course that obvious action conveniently disappears to allow a
"duct" to work on 160, hi.)

73, Tom W8JI