TopBand: South Pacific 160m Test

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: South Pacific 160m Test
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 15:12:17 +0800
Dear All,

What a enjoyable contest (19/07/97) - reminded me of the 160m transatlantic
tests of a earlier era (when W1BB, K1PBW and W1HGT were working into the
United Kingdom) in my youth.

Conditions after Sunset on Saturday seemed quite good, with all VK areas
except VK1 being worked, along with all ZL call areas except ZL3.
Unfortunately, the cold clear weather in WA resulted in an increase in my
noise level - too many heaters, drills and electrical appliances in general
being used - and a few missed signals!

Apologies to anyone who called me and I didn't come back - it was rough and
even DSP didn't help!

Although no Pacific stations were heard, to my surprise, there was a good,
brief opening into the western USA at their sunrise, with nice signals from
W7AWA and W6PBI (who peaked RST 57/89).  After getting up for the VK6
sunrise, it was good to exchange reports with YL2SM (559) and YC0LOW (589).

Around 2300 a couple of weak signals were heard on 1833, one of which sound
rather like PY2BW - well, I live in hope, anyway!

Let's turn this contest into something really special next year.  If all the
160m gang around the world flung some RF at the ionisphere on the day, who
knows what might happen!

Regards to all,

Steve, VK6VZ