TopBand: Ducting

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Ducting
From: eldridge@whistler.net (Bob Eldridge)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 21:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
Tom said:
>I decided to post this after several e-mails about ducting.
>I'm not convinced ionospheric ducting is anything beyond pure
>speculation. Even the experts admit there is no way to measure the
>effect, that means it is pure conjecture.

You will agree there is lots of conjecture in science (called 'hypothesis' I
guess.) Who measured the multiple hops? Time measurements for
round-the-world signals have shown that some signals do not bounce up and
down in the conventionally assumed manner.

With my horizon towards VK at 22 degs above the horizontal, I can believe
this morning's 439/339 with VK for ten minutes involved lots of bounces. But
I can't believe the S9+25 both ways with VK3EW on 28 May was via a ray that
bounced up and down as many times as geometry would dictate, salt water or
no salt water. There has to be another route, and SKYCOM shows a probability
of extended hops using an accredited ionospheric profile. Creating the
multiple hops usually shows the signal falling below workability before it
gets halfway along the path.

There ARE many occasions in the summer when the VKs and ZLs are VERY strong,
but KH6CC, /MMs and other Pacific stations are not.

73 de VE7BS, away from the shack until 7 July.
Bob Eldridge VE7BS,
Erickson Rd, Pemberton B.C. V0N 2L0
                        eldridge@whistler.net