TopBand: CY9AA missed

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CY9AA missed
From: jkjones@fn.net (Jon K. Jones)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 10:37:39 -0500
High winds and thunderstorms here in the midwest
kept me from deploying my balloon TopBand antenna
while CY9AA has been on the air.
Last night winds were calm and sky clear - finally a
shot at St. Paul.  Sunset here around 0200, antenna
up at 0230 utc. Saw the following spot on Web Cluster:

K3ANS 1824.0 CY9AA QSX 1825.8   0229 03 Jul

CY9AA was nowhere to be found. Ran across them
on 40 CW at 0324 and asked "160?" Op responded
"antenna tuner not working." Listened to 0600 but
never heard them on 160. Mike and crew have done
a great job under difficult conditions - I wish the Kansas
weather had taken a break one night earlier!
- Jon N0JK