TopBand: morning Pacific stuff

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: morning Pacific stuff
From: eldridge@whistler.net (Bob Eldridge)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 10:52:23 -0700 (PDT)
Sunrise to the Pacific is less productive this year than it has been for
many years, but it's not quite boring.

The VKs talk daily of "having another try for ZS4TX".

ZL2BCG says there is a new GPS correction data station near Perth on 1800
kHz. Also one on 1808, location unknown.
I hear the GPS station on 1819 (Wellington) almost every day, sometimes S7
or better, and the one on 1817 (Napier) usually about 12 dB down from the
Wellington signal.

VK3ZL is there every day on CW 1832 or on SSB 1838.5, calling CQ before West
Coast sunrise and often audible to 20 mins past it.

I have lost faith in the '160 prop is better in low sunspot years' story.
But the prop is still there, even in a low-SSN summer.

73 de VE7BS