TopBand: Re: Fact and Fantasy about Beverage Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Fact and Fantasy about Beverage Antennas
From: W8AV@aol.com (W8AV@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:01:38 -0400 (EDT)

<< Someone (I've long-since forgotten who) once told me         that to find
 the correct termination value, I should apply a small amount of
 RF to the antenna and walk down the wire with a field strength meter.
 The         best value of termination resistance would be when the
 sine-wave                  fluctuations observed while I "walked" the
 wire were least, i.e., "flat". >>

Earl,
Hmmm.....interesting idea.  When I matched my beverages whigh are about 600'
long I used an operating impedance bridge that I borrowed from work and
measured the impedance of the beverage against ground and terminated the
beverage in the resistance value of the beverage.  I then built a small
L-network to match the thing back to 50 j0.  The thing worked really well.
 By the by this was a single wire beverage.  I had a relay and a termination
resistor at each end and ran a coax on the ground from one end to the other.
 When the beverage was switched to the other direction, the signal came back
to the receiver through this coax.

73....de Goose W8AV (ex WD8LLD)