TopBand: Another great Beverage idea

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Another great Beverage idea
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 08:25:32 -0700
>From: K1MEM@aol.com
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:56:30 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Check out this rotary!
>
>http://www.anarc.org/naswa/issues/0497/tech0497.html

I read this page.  It is indeed humorous.  But it contains a major fallacy
that should get pointed out.  In the article, it is stated that improving
the ground conductivity benefits the operation of the beverage antenna.
Specifically, antenna effeciency improvement is mentioned.  While it may be
true that the antenna effeciency may be raised, it is _NOT_ true that this
improves the operational characteristics of a beverage antenna.  The
beverage is a traveling wave antenna which _depends_ on close proximity to
a poor ground for its proper operation.  If you doubt this, erect a
beverage over salt water or a wire grid ground mat and see how well it
works.

OK.  So I'll admit that the irrigation was unlikely to improve the ground
conditions enough to kill the beverage performance.  It is the erroneous
concept that I object to.

If you have very good ground, a (properly configured) EWE is the antenna to
use.  If you have what most of us have for local ground conditions, then
the beverage is very appropriate.

73,  Eric  N7CL