TopBand: reflection vs refraction

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: reflection vs refraction
From: rcluet@most.fw.hac.com (R. Carl Luetzelschwab)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 13:27:29 -0500
David K1TTT,

In your reply to NM7M's posting, you said

"consider a transmission from a vertical ionospheric sounder, the wave front
is essentially a plane when it encounters the ionsphere.  now assuming that
the ionopshere is quiet and uniformly ionized above the sounder the wave
front will not see any gradients, but can still be reflected back down to
the receiver."

Huh???  Are you saying that the reason the signal from a vertical sounder
returns to earth is because it's REFLECTED from a uniform ionopshere?  Like
a mirror?

Hopefully I misunderstood your comment.  Because the reason the signal
returns to earth is because it's REFRACTED (bent, turned, etc) in the
ever-increasing (up to the F region peak, of course) electron density.  If
that doesn't constitute a gradient, I don't know what does.

Carl K9LA
R. Carl Luetzelschwab  Mail Stop: 25-71   Phone: 219-429-4338
Fax: 219-429-5585  E-mail: rcluet@most.fw.hac.com
Hughes Defense Communications, 1010 Production Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808-4106