TopBand: ts850

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ts850
From: W7lr@aol.com (W7lr@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 23:03:28 -0400 (EDT)
This reflector isnt too crowded these days with dx so hope it is ok to ask
for some
help on the ts850.  Had seen on here in the past about the power pulsing
problem which my 850 developed - sent it off to Kenwood and they replaced the
dc/dc converter (parts about $10) and fixed that.  The shipping box is about
worn out going between Montana and southern Calif - but they have always done
a good repair job.
Now I've got one they cant find - and I cant either.  Any ideas?
The problem is intermittant - sometimes doesnt appear for days.  Other days
it is
present all the time.  What it is, is that the audio disappears after
pressing the
PTT or cw key.  Sometimes one dash will cause audio to reappear, sometimes
it takes 10 or so dashes before it comes on again.  I've eliminated (I
believe)
external causes - relays, amplifier circuits, bad connections, etc.  This
morning I was on 17m ssb and it worked perfectly.  This evening the malady is
back.
If I run the rig into a dummy load, or no antenna (with rf power off) the
problem is gone.  If I reconnect an antenna (even with swr 1.0 to 1) the
problem comes back.
It makes me wonder if the squelch circuit is haywire? (squelch control clear
off, and never used).
Has anyone else had this kind of a problem?  I've had good success with
Kenwood repair, but has anyone found a better alternative?
Sorry for the bandwidth.  Wish it were about dx.  I did get a qsl from YB8ZY.
Waiting (!) on ones from S58A EU6AF and C21BH.  Not bad though, 141 out of
144.]
73 Bob W7LR  where spring finally arrived, for gardening and antenna work.