TopBand: "FKV" Beacon

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: "FKV" Beacon
From: w4ea@contesting.com (Dan Nixon)
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 08:53:53 -0400
Bill Tippett wrote:

> >  Based on my Radio Beacon Handbook FKV transmits on 365 kHz from
> >the Flowery Branch of the Lee Gilmer Memorial Airport, Gainesville,
> >Georgia (34.12.12N - 83.54.23W) with 50 watts.  Sounds like they
> >have a strong fifth harmonic (1825 kHz).
>
> Thanks for the fast reply Bill.  Now, how about someone from Georgia
> (like Delta pilot NQ4I?) giving them a call and reporting the harmonics.
> I think this is usually a fairly simple adjustment to the transmitter.
> I've been hearing this thing for at least 9 months and it falls right
> on some prime DX frequencies.

This beacon has been a problem for some time and the FAA and FCC have
been notified by several of the locals here in Atlanta, but appears to
no avail. Maybe if enough people deluge them with calls, reports,
emails, etc. someone will wake up and fix it.

Being a former airline captain, they don't listen to us either, so it
won't do any good for Rick to try reporting it. We need to keep hounding
them until they get it taken care of.

Dan, W4EA
w4ea@contesting.com