TopBand: Top Hat Loaded Verticals

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Top Hat Loaded Verticals
From: Joe Subich" <W8IK@ibm.net (Joe Subich)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 97 19:52:27 -0400
In <19970430.145623.9671.3.km1h@juno.com>, on 04/30/97
   at 03:53 PM, km1h@juno.com said:

>So, while the technical discussion rages on, it is interesting to note
>that another ham has excellent results with short, top loaded antennas
>on Topband.

We have all seen good operators with less than optimum antennas in a superior
location beat an average operator with "textbook perfect" antennas.  With
short, top loaded antennas, one generally has the best performance possible in
a limited height ...  that doesn't mean the top loaded antenna could not be
improved by the addition of a superior (broadcast grade) ground system or by
replacing the top loading with additional antenna height.  Every one of us
makes compromises based on available resources.  I worked my 160 DXCC in the
early 80's with nothing more than a half-sloper because I was too lazy to
install a good ground system and shunt feed the big tower ... that doesn't mean
that the half-sloper was the best antenna.

Tom (W8JI) has coinsistently attempted to debunk the "old fart's tales"
currently being applied to lowband antennas.  He has provided theoretical data
from the most respected antenna scientists, not some "explanation" or anecdotal
results from an antenna marketing flier.  He has provided actual field strength
measurements from working antennas under controlled dondfitions, not a "guess"
from modelling programs known to have systemic errors under the conditions
being tested.

I guarantee you, if I were to erect a 17' tall "T" antenna or a 17' tall "pi"
antenna they would perform exactly the same as any other 17' tall top loaded
antenna over the same ground system as long as the losses in the feed
(matching) network remained the same.

It's time to put the issue to bed.  If you have an antenna that works well for
you, fine -- use it, even recommend it, but DON'T make exagerated,
scientifically unsound claims.  If you do, and I don't care who you are, be
prepared to back up those claims with sound, scientificly valid data made under
controlled conditions.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W8IK  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@ibm.net>