TopBand: Topband Newsletter (Part 4)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Topband Newsletter (Part 4)
From: g3xtt@compuserve.com (Don Field)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:14:22 -0400
(continued from Part 3 - posted by g3xtt@compuserve.com)

>From Ales, OK1DWJ: Hello dear Don, I am very sorry I haven't answered you
earlier, but I am still very busy and by the way , tomorrow I probably
shall leave my home QTH for my next trip as OK4DWJ/MM . While I started
this job, I moved a little bit out of 160 m DXing , but anyway - this
winter season I worked a few new ones -
5X4F , A45ZZ , TY5MF/RF/A , 3V8BB , V47KP , 7X2VZK , SV2ASP/A , 9A3A/4U
(HH2 ) , J77A , 9V1XQ , VK9CR , VK9XY  , FS/N0BSH , 9U5CW and EM1KA . This
season was really excellent for me after a long time. Well, that's the only
very short info about my activity from November 1995 till now. Wishing vy
73' and best DX to all 160 m DXers and see you all in pile-ups when I will
be back at home,
bye bye de Ales , OK1DWJ

>From Rys, SP5EWY: Last season was really Great and since CQWW 160 m I have
worked 14 new countries. Even during late Spring and early Summer there was
a lot of activity mainly from Africa, thanks to German Friends and ON6TT.
I've just yesterday got a new rig - TS930S with narrow IRCI filters - and I
hope it will be better than my older IC745 (which was quite good anyway).
I'm still using half sloper on my 18m high tower but I'm going to bury a
few radials in my garden which should improve low angle radiation. Here are
some extracts from my log:
28 Jan          0456   JG3KIV/6Y5  #202
29 Jan          0409   DF5WA/HI8   #203
29 Jan          0501   XF3/OH2NSM  #204
30 Jan          0319   8P9DX
30 Jan          0332   LU6Z
11 Feb          2257   9V1XQ
11 Feb          2300   VK9XY       #205
15 Feb          2229   VK9CR
26 Feb          0147   FS/WX9E     #206
26 Feb          0541   CO2EG       #207
27 Feb          0441   FS/N0BSH
1 Mar           0511   WN4KKN/HC8
5 Mar           2259   C56CW       #208
12 Mar          0402   ZF2KV
25 Mar          0313   AA6KX/KP4
25 Mar          0331   EM1KA       #209
25 Mar          1946   J28JA
1 Apr           0142   3V8BB
3 Apr           0030   ZD7VJ       #210
12 Apr          0228   6W6/K3IPK
15 Apr          2000   A61AF
15 Apr          2219   JX2GV
26 Apr          2158   JX7DFA
30 Apr          2246   TT8BP       #211
27 May          2209   FR/DL1VJ    #212
2 Jun           0118   9U5CW       #213
6 Jun           0131   CX4SS
8 Jun           2343   5V7HR       #214
11 Jun          2351   5V7ML
27 Jun          0055   CY0AA
13 Jun          0213   CP6VP       #215

73 and GL                            Rys SP5EWY

>From Mine JA2NQG: After an extensive effort on 160 meters for 28 years, I
finally attained the DXCC goal. K5FUV checked my application on 24 August
in person in Tokyo. Memorable contacts among others are CR9AK in 1971
operated by W0DX, VK9GN Territory of New Guinea in August 1971, and
JA8RUZ/4S7 in Jan. 88.  The latter two were so-called first ever JA
contacts.
Mine Sugiyama JA2NQG also JE1CTM ex-JH1LKH

>From Dave, KJ9I: Thanks for another enjoyable issue of TBN! Unfortunately,
my recent career change caused me to be off the air from fall 1993 until
fall 1995. During that time  I regrettably missed some rare ones: 3Y0PI
YK0A and others.
In September 1995 we activated my new station installation just in time to
land XR0Y and CE0Z for new ones (receiving on tx antenna, since I had no rx
antennae yet). The new station consists of four full-size half-wave
centre-fed slopers (NE, NW, SE, SW) suspended from my 50 metre rotating
tower. Then I installed four reversible 177m Beverages to give coverage in
eight directions.
With my new station I attained my goal of 200 countries (although it seemed
I was stuck at 199 for 5 forevers!).
I am quite proud of hitting 200 from Wisconsin! The only other one who has
done this before was Randy W9ZR (when he was in Wisconsin) who has an
impressive country count due to continued dedication to topband for many,
many years.
My compliments to Andy G4ZVJ. From ZD7VJ he is demonstrating what it takes
to be top notch on topband, by being there night after night and
persevering. Thanks Andy!
I missed SU2MT and 1A0KM this year. I could hear both for brief periods
only. But at those times I could not overcome the large pile-up of stations
calling. From Wisconsin I heard both 5N0T and 9K2MU just once the whole
season but neither could hear me. I sought H44ML to no avail, and I missed
P29PL. I missed 7P8MA; I thought he'd be QRV more than just one night
(during which I had no copy on him).
After XR0Y and CE0Z, my new ones included JW5NM 3DA0CA R0/UR8LV TF3EJ A71CW
S92SS LU6Z 5X4F Z32ZM ZA1AJ ZK1DI 5B4OG UA9MA/C91 3V8BB and ZD7VJ.
So overall it was a very productive and enjoyable season. I am quite happy!
73 David KJ9I (David.Schmocker@TWCable.Com)

In a subsequent e-mail David continues: Hello Don! Congrats on D68!  In the
USA, they were very weak on east coast so those of us inland heard not even
a peep.  My total is now at 201 on  the present list (if /C91 counts).  I
also worked 9J2GA George Adams  on 1.840 SSB but he does *not* QSL.  Do you
know anyone who can help me with this one (new one if I could get a QSL)?
I could supply QSO details. Last new one here was AH0W/AH4 at local
sunrise.  It's been a slow summer.  Looking forward to 5N0MVE, A35RK,
P29PL, V5... would all be new ones... so much to look forward to... also
need HB0, 3A, HZ, A4, these should be easy.
     Dave KJ9I