TopBand: YE0AX from NC

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: YE0AX from NC
From: btippett@ctc.net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 07:18:21 -0500 (EST)
        Wow!  While sending a CQ around 1200 on 1831, I thought I
heard VK5BC answering off my frequency near 1830.  After listening,
I realized Hugh was calling YE0AX.  Then I began to hear John himself
on 1830 about 449.  This was >10 minutes past my sunrise and I think
John is still in Jarkata (the last time I worked him from Colorado
anyway).  This is a VERY long haul DX path from here since Jakarta is
over 10,000 miles (16,000 km) from here and the bearing at 350 degrees
is almost over the Magnetic North Pole (355 degrees from my QTH).

        No QSO but then he wasn't hearing VK5BC either.  However, it
was very exciting just to hear him from here in North Carolina at any
time of year much less this very late date in the season.  This band
just continues to amaze me!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  He was skew path at 290 degrees and not readable at all on my
330 degree Beverage...could have been high angle but I don't have a
high angle antenna at the moment.