TopBand: Update--160 band plan/band segments

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Update--160 band plan/band segments
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 21:47:31 -0500 (EST)
        So far I have responses from 45 of you with the following
results of our CW-only segment survey:

#1 (1800-1840):   23.3%
#2 (1800-1845):   45.6%
#3 (1800-1850):   24.4%
#4 (do nothing):   6.7%

(For those of you mathematically inclined, the numbers round as they
do because one person split a vote between #1 and #2.)

        Perhaps the most interesting observation is that only 3 of
45 respondants so far are in favor of #4 - doing nothing!  I may have
prebiased some of you for #2 but there are also a couple of comments
that may affect our eventual recommendation.  Comment #1: A VE3 tells me
that there is a parallel effort going on with the Canadian ISC which is
the equivalent of our FCC in the USA.  Since one of the reasons I favored
1845 was to make room for some Canadians below that frequency and
hopefully above 1840 to avoid SSB QRM to CW below 1840, I could be easily
convinced that 1840 would work if (BIG IF) Canadians were to be
required to also stay above 1840 on SSB.  However it may be risky to
assume this unless we know for a fact that the FCC and ISC will act
in concert.  Comment #2: Carl KM1H noted that 1845 may be impractical
versus 1840 or 1850 just for simplicity reasons.  Both of these are
very valid comments and we may eventually decide to revote on alternatives
1, 3 and 4 after we get more information on the Canadian situation.

        Have YOU voted yet?  Why not?  Thanks to the following for taking
time to express their opinion: N2QT, K6EID, WA2IZL, W0MU, N7CKD/0, K9UWA,
N5UL, KF2O, AA1K, KJ9I, KM1H, K1ZM, K5ZD, N9JF, W4YO, W0YG, KJ9C, VE3XSP
(not the VE3 mentioned above who did not cast a specific vote yet), W1WAI,
W4FX, NX1G, K4IQ, W8EH, K5QY, NJ2L, N4OO, N7UA, N7EX, W8IK, K3LR, K9RJ,
K8MFO, K2KIR, KW9KW, K2WI, W8NW, K5NA, K4ESE, K0SD, W4JVN, W3GH, W1JR,
SM3CWE and SM0AJU.  By the way, both SM's voted for #1 in case we need to
refigure the stats for North Americans only.  They liked #1 because it
coincides with the 1840-1850 recommendation for SSB in Sweden.  On the
other hand, if you are a fan of split operation on 160, this might be
an argument for no USA SSB in the 1840-1850 area which would make that
a defacto SSB DX window for the USA!

        Come on guys, let's hear from the silent majority.  Speak now
or forever hold your complaints!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  Some have expressed concern about other digital modes being allowed
to coexist with CW.  I think we could handle this in the "band plan" phase
and I would recommend 1800-1810 since that is very lightly used and also
since it would not QRM Europeans who generally cannot go below 1810.  We
would also probably recommend no unattended machines be allowed on 160.