TopBand: Antennas and Radio

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Antennas and Radio
From: w8jitom@worldnet.att.net (Tom Rauch (W8JI))
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:40:06 -0500
Mike Michon wrote:

> I have a Ten Tec  Corsair 2, and we put up a beverage 2 years ago and never
> could get the radio to run using the receive ant jack.  I was wondering if
> a relay is necessary, or if anyone with a Corsair 2 has used a beverage for
> receive. The Corsair would go into oscillation on transmit with Beverage
> connected.

I had the same problem with my ICOM 751A, and I "hear" a lot of other
people with that problem during contests, hi.

I cured my 751A by adding a shunt PIN diode on the receive antenna line.
The signal from my receiving antennas overrode ICOM's switching diode
bias, and that tied the RX antenna into the TX predriver stage! It made
a not-so-neat oscillator through the feedback.

If I didn't happen to have a spectrum analyzer, I never would have known
it was happening. The oscillation was out of band.

73 Tom