TopBand: DXCC status on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: DXCC status on 160
From: john.devoldere@innet.be (John Devoldere)
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 22:04:29 +0000
Hello Top banders.

For me the "winter" top-band season is just about over. At the end of the
week most of my Beverage antennas go down (the farmers start plowing), and I
get ready for some summer trips on my bike...

The KH8 was my country # 276 (in exactly 10 years on top band). I analyzed
what is left over and came to the following list (the "difficulty" index
only related to propagation, not to activity, of course).

Maybe it would be interesting for someone to try to collect the data from
the guys that have at least 250 countries?  If the idea is supported by
enough enthusiasts, I am willing to collect the data and publish them when
available.

At this time, here is my list, and comments.  Your comments would be much
appreciated.

Africa:
-------
3B6  easy
3B9  easy
3C0  easy
3X   easy
D6   easy
E3   easy
FH   easy
FR/G easy
FR/J easy
FR/T easy
FT8W relatively easy
FT8X relatively easy
XT  easy

Comments:
1/ A DX-pedition covering 3B6, 43B9, D6 and FH should be very attractive, I
assume for most top-banders..
2/ More to the South The FT's and the FR7 (G, J, T) must be in high demand,
and a choice target for two expeditions...
3/ Why have I never heard of a 3X, 3C0 and XT (all West Africa) ???
4/ I worked E3, but ARRL refused to accept DK7PE's operation from there...

Asia:
-----
7O  easy
AP  easy
JD/M difficult
VU7L rel easy
YI  easy
summary: 4 easy ones

Comments:
1/ 7O: let's hope next time DJ9ZB will have a 160m antenna as well (keep
fingers crossed)
2/ YI: ????
3/ AP: why do we never see an expedition from there?

S.America:
----------
CE0X easy
HK0M easy
VP8S difficult
summary: 2 easy ones

Comments: it's time these are visited again...
PS I (thought I) worked the HK0M? expedition so0me years ago, burt... "not
in log". We did not have log servers then..

Pacific:
--------
5W   next to impossible
A3   next to impossible
BS7 easy
BV9 easy (if small enough antenna exists?)
FO   vy diff
FW   next to impossible
H4   vy diff
KH1  vy diff
KH2  vy diff
KH3  vy diff
KH4  vy diff
KH5  vy diff
KH5K vy diff
KH7  vy diff
KH9  vy diff
T2   next to impossible
T30  next to impossible
T31  next to impossible
T32  next to impossible
T33  next to impossible
V6   difficult
VK0M difficult
VK9M difficult
VK9W difficult
ZK/N next to impossible
ZK/S next to impossible
ZK2  next to impossible
ZK3  next to impossible
ZL7  next to impossible
ZL8  next to impossible
ZL9  next to impossible
summary: ONLY 2 easy ones

Comments:
---------
BS9: are there 160 meters antennas as small as this "country" ???
For 90% of these countries we need a super day (conditions-wize) and a super
operation (station like at VK0IR, with hi power and a good vertical IN the
salt water...)

73

John, ON4UN

john.devoldere@innet.be
Call us in all major 1997 contests: ON4UN or OT7T
John Devoldere (ON4UN-AA4OI)
POBOX 41
B-9000 Ghent (Belgium)