TopBand: Forwarded message from K2WI

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Forwarded message from K2WI
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 11:41:08 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-03 19:21:31 EST, K2WI writes:

 >Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I did, late second night of the contest, when it was becoming obvious that
QRM of the DXwindow is not going away, and besides 17 other stations that
hogged the frequency, very few were fortunate to snag any European
multipliers. Asked GD to move, did not do anything, this is why what you call
lynching came about.

 > I would hope that stations who hear another station breaking a rule,
 >would let them know personally that they noticed, but this lyching of W2GD
 >is getting out of hand. Do we really want the topband reflector and the
 >internet in general to be used for public stoning of contest stations after
 >every contest?

If breaking rules warrants it, then it should be done here. All we have is
peer pressure and appeal to sanity. If we agree that rules should be
observed, then gross violators should be punished. Where appropriate,
violators should be remainded on the air. If violator corrects the problem,
then it's OK to continue, if he persists after numerous notifications, then
he/she/it deserves public discussion.

 >People are not perfect, neither are contest rules.  Let's keep the
 >discussion and interpretation of rules here in public, but keep the peer
 >pressure feedback more private.

We do that, I heard one M/M W4... (the one that "owns" 1829) in ARRL DX
contest with wide open gain/compressor (you could hear fan and next band's
operator louder then his audio, was QRMing himself!), few stations told him
that, one good soul navigated him through controls to turn things to
acceptable audio. He did that, and all was fine. "No public lynching."

If in the next year's running of 160 m contests we have clear DX window form
CQing W/VEs, as defined by contest rules (hopefully widened to 10 kHz for
contest purpose) and fewer "frequency owners" for the whole contest, more fun
for all involved, and we have achieved selfregulation and avoid tastless
exchanges on the air and here. Isn't that what we all want and what the
reflector should be for?

73 and lets be nice and considerate within rules and regulations!
Yuri, K3BU