TopBand: Contest changes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Contest changes
From: wt8n@fuse.net (Daniel Flaig,K8RF)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 18:01:14 -0800
Larry Higgins wrote:

> Thanks to W8RF for his compilation of comments on changes to the CQ160 SSB
> and/or DX window.  Seeing the listed topics in the report makes me wonder if
> maybe a survey type compilation would shed more light.  For example, 12%
> favored reducing the contest period.  But that only means that 12% mentioned
> this topic.  We can take this to mean that 88% didn't mention it, but not
> necessarily that 88% are opposed to the idea.
>
> Maybe Dan would be willing to compile further inputs on the subjects listed
> in his report, but this time with comments on each of the specific topics in
> the report.  How about it, Dan?
>
> Larry
> N9DX
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html
> Submissions:              topband@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  topband-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:                 owner-topband@contesting.com
Larry and other fellow "Static-Addicts",
Yes I'll update this survey with anybody elses "votes" on the issues.

And I did try to get some good specific feedback by posting this on Feb
25th:

"So far suggestions regarding possible changes to the CQ 160 SSB
contest,and related items such as the "DX-window" include:
1) Reducing contest period to 24 hours
2) Moving time slot of contest(s),possibly switching time with WPX
3) Observing some type of DX window
4) Eliminating SSB contest activity entirely from a lower portion of the
band.
Obviously somehow enforcing #3 and #4 would be a problem,maybe someone
has some ideas on how they could be implemented."

The guys that sent their comments should of seen that post earlier,so
the  results of the "Survey" included responses to the specific items
mentioned above.

Of the replies,I would say 90% of them were well thought out,with
specific suggestions as to postive changes and not just complaints.

I have already gotten several posts from people that hadn't responded
earlier;or who did but wanted to add their vote to another
item,particulary no W/VE below 1840.

Some would say that 59 responses is not enough feedback to get an
accurate veiw of the topband community,but the feeling I get is it has
been a good representive sampling.
I heard from contesters,DX'ers,big and little guns.Look at the call
signs,I'am sure everyone sees people they know listed.

I'd like to see more input,esp from DX,so I will update this in a few
days if I get enough additional replies.

73 & DX
Dan K8RF

Gud thing P29 wasn't coming throught this AM,I slept through alarm
clock,woke at 1330z!