TopBand: 2-wire beverages (part 2)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 2-wire beverages (part 2)
From: leewells@lexmark.com (Lee Wells)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 12:31:51 -0500 (EST)
de KT4ZX - Lee Wells - leewells@lexmark.com

Once I got home last night, I made a couple mods to the 2-wire
beverage box.  When I opened up the box, I noticed that one ground
wire MAY have been shorting to the signal wires...I made sure this
was well insulated when I put it back together.  The other thing I
did was add a 50 ohm terminating resistor that gets switched in to
the unused port.  So about midnight I wandered back outside to
reinstall the box (the neighbors surely think I've lost it now!).

And now the results......

        - 160 still doesn't have much of a F/B ratio.  I finally
        found one US station that would go up or down by a 2-3 S
        units (on a Icom-745) when switching directions.
        Europeans were still down in the mud, with no noticable
        difference front to back.

        - 40m is a different story!!!  Listening to some broadcast
        stations on 40 I was able to see a 20-30 db difference
        (S9+40 to S9+20).

        - 80m looked good too.  I heard some US stations working a
        TK6.  Off the back (west) all I could hear was static, off
        the front the TK6 was easy copy!  The US stations also showed
        a 3-4 S unit drop when switching directions.

        - WWV on 5 MHz is 20db stronger off the back.

        - WWV at 2.5MHz shows almost no difference (maybe 5 db)
        front to back.

So I'm beginning to think the low frequency response of this thing
is way off!  Does that mean I didn't use enough turns for the
transformers????  Or is this really a fair comparison since at 7MHz,
the beverage is somewhere over 3 wavelengths long.

Any ideas on whats going on here????

Thanks again....
        --Lee