TopBand: Dupes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Dupes
From: reparkes@eureka.lk (reparkes@eureka.lk)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:40:10 +0600
de 4S7RPG

With the discussion on duplicates I would like to add something.

Obviously if the DX station is in a pile up then don't.  It isn't fair to
the rest of the alligators champing away on the freq.

However there is  one occasion when I personally think it is quite
justified. I thank John G3PQA for first raising it.

When the DX station has no takers then call and give the guy the feeling
that it is worth his effort to stay on.  John says if he hears me and there
is no one coming back to me then he will call and wake everyone up to the
fact!!  John did this recently giving my freq in the process and the band
came alive!!

Similarly VE1ZZ on Fri 21 at 0100.  As I reported all I could hear and work
up to sunrise was an RK and I did not want to start a day with only that to
counter the sleep depravation!  Jack saved the day  for me and I have no
hesitation to thank him for another QSO just to prove it is no fluke. Also
if you have acres at one end of the propagation then a suburban lot at the
other end can work and it is worth the aggro!!

Sorry to take up channel

Bob
4S7RPG