TopBand: Rule 13 & 14

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Rule 13 & 14
From: reparkes@eureka.lk (reparkes@eureka.lk)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:00:21 +0600
de 4S7RPG

I would like to add yet another two rules

Rule No.13 -- Depending on the situation and conditions, give the call of
the station you are calling.  It may seem irrelevant but some contacts on
1.8 are not like handshaking QSK operation on 20 metres.  e.g. If I am on
1824 and QSX up 2 and I hear AB1CD is he calling me or calling a JA who is
also QSX 26.

2 weeks ago I missed G3RBPs first call for me when he just gave his call.  I
had just tuned him in and I did not know if he was calling me or someone
else.  This applies particularly with very narrow passbands.  The DX station
is not always copying well as you may be copying him.  He may not have you
tuned in or the operation could be a little more precarious. In my situation
(if I am receiving on a different ANT to Tx) then I could be switching  the
receive antenna IN at the end of an over by selecting another ANT on the
ATU!! This is definitely not QSK operation!!

Rule No. 14

Listen to what reports is the DX is giving if they are usually readability 3
& 4 for Strength 5 and upwards then he has high QRN to contend with and
rules 11, 12, & 13 apply!!

I would endorse Chris' ZS6EZ rule no.12 on character spacing.  You do
actually have to mentally count the spaces etc when putting some calls
together.  Also some people seem to think that rattling away at 25 wpm is
going to get the complete call between the bursts of static but I have never
found this so.  Perhaps its me (even when I was younger!) but I have always
found the slower the speed the easier it is to decipher the call with rule 12.

Sorry to hog the channel.

73s

Bob Parkes
4S7RPG