TopBand: Re: Topband: jps ANC-4

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Topband: jps ANC-4
From: Mike.Tope@Sciatl.COM (Mike.Tope@Sciatl.COM)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:05 -0500 (EST)

          Rolf,

          The likelihood of this happening depends on the width of the
          null, which is a function of the spacing between the two
          antennas (main antenna and noise antenna). If I remember my
          antenna theory correctly, wider spacings will generally
          produce sharper nulls. The wider the null, the larger the
          blind spot that you will have. For a given angular
          separation between  between the offending noise source and a
          desired signal, the degree of Signal to Noise (SNR)
          improvement will depend on the amplitude taper of the null.
          For example if the taper of the null is 5db/degree and the
          two sources are 3 degrees apart in azimuth, you should be
          able to improve the SNR by about 15dB. In some cases you
          will actually be putting the desired signal into the null,
          but not as far as the interfering signal. Its kinda like
          tuning for maximum amplitude slope. This might expain why I
          sometimes get the best SNR on a signal if I don't null the
          noise completely. This is all theory and conjecture of
          course. Good luck with your ANC-4. I would be dead in the
          water on topband without mine.

          73 de Mike, W4EF