TopBand: Weak opening

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Weak opening
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 01:01:02 -0600
  Just when I was ready to declare this the first night of not hearing
Europe on 160 in 1997 I hear a weak CQ TEST at 0542z.  I knew that it
had to be someone in the PACC Contest, but I wasn't sure that it was
PI4COM until 0550 when I called and we exchanged reports.
  I worked OK1FD (449) at 0602 and then I worked a "strong one"--
S53R (569) at 0614.  However, by 0630 he was down below the noise
level.  OK1FD was still heard around 0640 at his consistent 449 level.
They were all strongest on my European Beverage which was slightly
better than the transmit antenna (3 active elements towards
Europe--parasitic vertical array).  My high angle wire antenna has
yet to be the better antenna for receive on signals from outside
of the states...
  73,  Bill     K0HA