TopBand: Heard/USA QSO Statistics

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Heard/USA QSO Statistics
From: kl7y@alaska.net (Dan Robbins)
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 17:16:15 -0900 (AKST)
Bob, NM7M, wrote:

>The problems on 160 CW are not related to the level of ionization
>up there; there's plenty to keep 160 m signals moving.  Instead,
>the problems really have to do with all the great-circle paths
>from Heard which arrive in the USA close to the 106 W meridian of
>longitude.

Well, the only problems in Alaska were that VK0IR seemed to shun the 3 hour
propagation window we had.  Don't think they worked any KL7 or KH6 despite
the long window.  There were at least 2 days of super propagation on 160 to
that direction, but VK0IR was busy on other bands between 1515 and 1815Z. I
know because I checked the spots and could find them everywhere, including
two stations on 40 and two stations on 20, but nobody on 160.  If you were
going on a mega DXpedition wouldn't you make your evening part of a regular
160m foray?  The difference between a good DXpedition and a bad DXpedition
is whether you worked them or not. This is one I can't blame on the aurora.

                                        Dan KL7Y