TopBand: QRN

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: QRN
From: aa8u@modempool.com (Bruce Lallathin)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 19:12:11 -0500
Hello fellow topbanders,

Well, call me a whimp... The QRN this evening is higher than I can tolerate.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but the static crashes AND local snow static
have conspired against me. I hit the off button......maybe when this mess
passes I'll get back on and see if I can hear any DX. Can't believe the
trouble I had hearing the KP4 and the PJ9 stations and their signals were
at least S6 on the Beverage.

I don't have a bi-directional Beverage, but I think my short 55 deg. azmuth
Beverage is going to get unterminated tomorrow morning. Or, I'm going to
have to put up that full wave loop like K8CC did. Twisting that 10 position
switch gets to be a pain quickly with all the stateside stations calling.

It is amazing to hear a strong W0 MN station calling on the N.W. antenna,
but is totally inaudable on the N.E antenna. I missed the first letter or
two of a lot of stations due to this. (NW and NE Bev on opposite ends of
switch travel) Adding the loop might help. My appologies to all that called
me only to find me stumbling with their prefix.

I did hear VK0IR on 160, yesterday I think it was. Not strong enough to
know if he got my call for sure. He was "strongest" on my 1200' SE Beverage
at about 2245Z here in Michigan.

Anyone out there have any advice regarding the care and feeding of full
wave rx loops for top band?

Well, gotta go rest up for the Super Bowl.

73 to all,

Bruce