TopBand: ZS8IR

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ZS8IR
From: crb@nanoteq.co.za (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 21:44:47 +200
I spoke to Chris this afternoon.  He has the sloper up, but there is
a mysterious SWR problem.  When he transmits with 10 W, the SWR is
fine.  When he runs power, the SWR goes up to infinity (even if
measured with low power).  After a few minutes, the SWR goes back
down again.

I have suggested that he replace the connectors, but they currently
have around 50 knots of wind.  He's not about to go outside and play
with antennas.  Mean time, he has been fairly active on the higher
bands.

The work pressure is now letting up, as his stock taking and re-
ordering of supplies for the next crew is almost over.  I expect
he'll tackle 160 again with a vengeance once the weather lets up
enough to fix the antenna.

If there are other (concrete) ideas about the SWR problem, please let
me know directly.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ