TopBand: Propagation north of the 54th

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Propagation north of the 54th
From: rjnadeau@agt.net (RAY NADEAU)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 01:06:30 -0700
I should have reported sooner but am still in shock.

Up until January 6, 1997, I had never even heard a EU on topband.  Then at
0107Z, January 6, I heard and WORKED GI0NWG. He said I was a new province for
him, but he was so loud I thought at first he was a pirate.  Upon tuning
further up the band, I not only heard GM3POI, GW4VEQ, G3PQA, GI0KOW but I
worked them all with little difficulty and some with 599 -- this with only 100
watts and a poor man's vertical with five elevated radials.  Now that is what I
call propagation. If this is what happens prior to big solar disturbances, let
us have more storms.

Did anyone else, north of the 54th parallel hear the EU  prior to the big
aurora just experienced?   The big attenuator-in-the-sky (to quote Dan, KL7Y)
was sure doing its thing here in the Edmonton, AB district.

What an interesting  band.

Ray/ VE6SF