TopBand: Re: TO0R, finally

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: TO0R, finally
From: jbmitch@vt.edu (John Mitchell)
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 21:12:16 -0500
After listening to TO0R last nite from 549 to 569 for over two hours,
calling and not getting thru the pileup, I finally got thru tonite.  The
band seemed to be very qrn here, and just before giving up, I thought maybe
I can hear him anyway, and maybe fewer will be calling. I just might slip
through.  He was tough copy, but in the log at 0130.

Had to use both on-board SPAC DSP on 870, and outboard Timewave for Q5 copy.
Started listening before sunset here in VA, when he was already 339 with
this arrangement.  He peaked about an hour later, but many were calling, and
few were chosen. About 2250 a strong carrier at about 60 deg. came on zero
beat, apparently in an effort to jam (disgruntled EU?).  Fortunately, I had
moved the east bev just a little closer to Reunion yesterday, and TO0R was
still ok but the EU jammer was down.

After working him, I went to SSB up the band, and only then realized just
how bad the qrn was:  20 over nearly continuous crashes.  Well, nuff said, I
love the 870's SPAC DSP!

vy HNY

John K4IQ