TopBand: Spectacular European opening here in Midwest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Spectacular European opening here in Midwest
From: n7ckdennis@juno.com (Dennis G. Peterson)
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 03:13:49 EST
Hi all;  What a fantastic night on topband.  I've never in my 21 years on
topband seen an evening as open and splendid as it was on January 02-03.
I finally surpassed the DXCC mark after trying to get there for 17 years.
 Here is a breakdown of the stations worked and times with an asterisk
indicating new ones and double asterisk that put me on and over 100.
EA3VY  23:39
JW5NM  01:28*  #99
SM5EDX  04:38  OH3ES* *  #100
CL3LY  05:28
ON4UN  06:04
SM4CAN  06:12**  #101
G4BYG  06:54
LA0CX  07:41
G0IVZ  07:56
I'm so tired I could go to sleep as I compose this message ; but figured
I best send it ASAP.  Thanks to the DX stations who made my new year a
happy one with the new ones for DXCC.  I might also add that these new
ones and the balance of the DX station since August of this year when I
had only 84 has been done with a CTSVR/Uni-Hat 31 foot toploaded vertical
in the back yard.  Who says short isn't good enough.  It is when you have
to make due and good the resources and funds you have to work with.
Receiving is done primarily on this same antenna too; although I do use a
130 foot coaxial snake beverage oriented on the ground and around the
house and terminated with a 52 ohm resistor.  73s and H A P P Y  N E W  Y
E A R  T O  A L L!

de N7CKDennis/0
N7CKDennis G. Peterson
1815 Mulberry Avenue